Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK, you and your family will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to protect the rights you currently have in the UK.

Irish citizens or those with valid indefinite leave do not need to apply.

Applications are open until 30 June 2021.

It’s free to apply.

Watch our video about the EU Settlement Scheme and how to apply:

This video and other materials are available in 25 European languages and Welsh.


Under the EU Settlement Scheme, you’ll continue to have the right to live and work in the UK. It will mean you’ll continue to be eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools
  • public funds and pensions
  • British citizenship, if you meet the requirements

You can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme online. The quick and easy application process checks 3 basic principles – identity, UK residence and criminality. You’ll need your passport or national identity card to provide proof of your identity. Your National Insurance number can be used as proof of residency.

You can scan your identity document with an Android phone, or you can send them by post.

If your application is successful, the Home Office will email you a link to an online service where you can view and prove your status.